We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated Senior Research Associate to join the Protein Sciences team. The incumbent will advance protein sciences projects to expand our proprietary genome editing technologies toolbox. A successful candidate will work with multidisciplinary mentors to expand our understanding of novel or poorly-understood gene editing systems and to design/execute pipelines to improve nuclease activity, target specificity, as well as PAM compatibility.
The exact level of this position will be based on experience and qualifications, and as such, we encourage all interested candidates to apply. If you have relevant experience or knowledge that is not reflected on your resume, we welcome you to include a comment explaining any additional details you would like us to consider when reviewing your application.
About the Role
- Heterologous expression and purification of proteins from E. coli using standard affinity purification techniques and AKTA/FPLC
- Running and analysis of SDS-PAGE and agarose gels
- Designing and performing in vitro biochemical assays to evaluate DNA cleavage by nucleases
- Use various cloning techniques (Gibson assembly, restriction enzyme digestion and ligation, etc.) to construct plasmids required for protein engineering, expression, and purification
- PCR amplification, clean-up, and quantification
- Document experiments and present data at regularly scheduled lab meetings
- Collaborate closely with other teams
- BA/BS/MS degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, or related fields.
- 2-3 (RA II) or 4+ (SRA) years of wet lab experience
- Experience in heterologous expression and purification of proteins from E. coli using standard techniques is essential
- Experience in cloning techniques including PCR, plasmid prep, restriction enzyme digestion and ligation, and Gibson assembly
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to tackle tight deadlines and multiple projects
- Able to troubleshoot, quickly learn and adapt to new projects
- Highly collaborative, team-oriented, and considerate of the needs of others
- Thrives in a fast-moving, results-oriented startup environment with urgent deadlines
- Independent and self-sufficient, but knows when to ask questions or seek support
- Self-motivated, passionate about your work, and eager to continuously learn more
Preferred additional qualifications:
- 1+ years of research experience in industry
- Experience handling human cell lines
- Experience with PyMOL and 3D structure analysis
- Experience with AKTA/FPLC for standard techniques (e.g. SEC, IEX)
At Metagenomi, we are accelerating innovation in cell and gene therapy with a wave of proprietary CRISPR-based systems to accurately edit DNA where current technologies cannot. Our metagenomics-powered discovery platform and analytical expertise reveal novel cellular machinery sourced from otherwise unknown organisms. We adapt and forge these naturally evolved systems into powerful therapeutic tools that can be leveraged by partners and fuel our own pipeline of potentially curative medicines. Our goal is to revolutionize gene editing and unlock its power for the benefit of patients around the world.
What makes Metagenomi unique?
- We are passionate about developing technologies derived from microbial-rich ecosystems that have the power to enable therapeutic developmentand the potential to cure devastating disease.
- We have cultivated an amazing culture that values teamwork, curiosity, scientific rigor, and fun.
- We offer competitive compensation including a market-benchmarked salary, annual target bonus, equity in an early-stage startup, and a comprehensive benefits plan, including 401(k) matching, a retirement safe harbor plan, and other perks. As this role is open to candidates with a wide range of skills and experience, the salary range will be dependent on the exact level of the position. A more specific level-based range will be provided to you during the early stages of the interview process. We value transparency and will make every effort to provide you with a succinct explanation for how the range is determined.
At Metagenomi, we know that our people drive our success. Metagenomi provides an open, collegial, and friendly work environment where we empower people and provide them with opportunities to develop their long-term career. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in and value diversity and inclusion. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com and we would be happy to help.
Metagenomi.co is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law.